Photo credit: Raven Jones
Yesterday as I looked outside my window to determine the weather (instead of checking the news or weatherchannel.com) I saw big flakes of snow swirling from the sky. Sounds dramatic, but the snowflakes really were swirling. While I would usually pick up the nearest hat, gloves, and scarf I found on the floor of my closet, I decided to do something different; I thought about style instead of warmth. Stupid? As my mother would say “it’s too cold to be cute.” But, I am starting to rethink that position. I had a huge orange and silver scarf in the closet with silver designs that I never wear and a warm cream pea coat in the closet that I don’t like to wear because I don’t want to get it dirty. Well, today I wore that scarf (which is super warm because it’s so big that I can wrap it around my neck multiple times) and I wore the cream coat (I’ll just get it dry cleaned at some point). As, I travel around in the cold weather, I have noticed accessories that allow you to look fashionable while protecting yourself from old man winter. Check out some of the accessories below that may be able to spruce up your winter look.
Where to buy (clockwise):
1) Juicy Couture ‘mini’ Sequin Hand Warmers (nordstrom, $30)
2) New York Designed New Wave Winter Bomber Faux Fur Aviator Hat (amazon.com, $19)
3) Knit Circle Scarf (yesstyle.com, $30)
4) Lined Leather Gloves (Nordstrom, $60)
5) Echo Pot Top Mittens (Nordstrom.com, $28)
1) ‘Wrap-around’ scarves: As seen in item #3- This scarf is a perfect way to keep your neck warm while adding a little bit of European chic-ness to your outerwear.
2) Bomber Hat: As seen in item #2- I can’t walk down the street in New York without seeing someone with a bomber hat. This hat not only protects your head, but keeps you ears warm. This will save you from buying ear-muffs. You can find these hats anywhere- try the faux-fur quilted bomber hat by Dockers, sold at Sears for $15.
3) Leggings: I wear cotton leggings underneath my slacks to keep the wind from blowing through my pants.
Winter Leggings (American Apparel, $38)- I usually buy my leggings from Target, Kmart, or Walmart; they are much cheaper.